FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TRIBECA ENTERPRISES AND NEW VIDEO SET DISTRIBUTION DEAL TO RELEASE TRIBECA FILM TITLES ON DVD
Robust Slate of 10 Acclaimed Films to be Released Late 2010-Early 2011
New York, NY [July 19, 2010] – Tribeca Enterprises and New Video, a leading independent film and TV distributor, announced today that New Video is the exclusive DVD distributor for titles from Tribeca Film, a national distribution platform acquiring and releasing films year-round supported by Founding Partner American Express. The films range from award-winning dramas and revealing documentaries to uproarious comedies and stunning animated features; many of which premiered at the 2010 Tribeca Film Festival prior to theatrical runs in New York and Los Angeles. Tribeca Film also made 12 films available on video on demand in 40 million U.S homes simultaneously with their festival and theatrical screenings through partnerships with leading telecom, cable and satellite providers. The deal was announced by Jon Patricof, COO, Tribeca Enterprises, and Susan Margolin, co-President, New Video.
Under the deal, New Video will be working with Tribeca Enterprises to develop and distribute the Tribeca Film home video label. The first titles to be released ― The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia, a provocative portrait of Boone County, West Virginia’s most notorious and surly family executive produced by Johnny Knoxville and Jeff Tremaine, and The Infidel, starring comedian Omid Djalili as a Muslim whose world is turned upside down when he learns he was adopted ― and that his birth mother was Jewish! ― will arrive on DVD on October 26, 2010. New Video will continue to release 1-2 titles per month leading up to the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival.
“We are delighted to be working with New Video to bring Tribeca Film titles to the home video market,” said Patricof. "Home entertainment allows Tribeca Film to continue expanding the potential audience for our filmmakers and introducing consumers to quality independent films they wouldn’t otherwise see. New Video is a great company that shares Tribeca’s goals and we look forward to a long and mutually successful relationship."
“We look forward to collaborating with Tribeca Enterprises’ phenomenal team of seasoned professionals, some of the most highly respected in the industry, to continue to expand Tribeca Film’s distribution reach,” said Margolin. “The name Tribeca is synonymous with high quality, entertaining, independent films. When platformed with the might of a brand like Tribeca, these films will be discovered by new audiences across the country.”
The partnership with New Video reinforces Tribeca Film’s strategy to address the distribution and marketing challenges facing filmmakers today. With the support of American Express and its distribution partners, Tribeca Film was created based on the realization that a film’s presence at a festival can help propel its release across many platforms and seeks to provide a more effective approach to these interdependent platforms, dynamic release patterns and offer filmmakers a more sustainable business model.
The films and release dates are as follows:
- The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (DVD release date: 10/26/10; $24.95) Shoot-outs, robberies, gas-huffing, drug dealing, pill popping, and tap dancing — what do these all have in common? The White Family. From executive producers Johnny Knoxville and Jeff Tremaine comes a shocking portrait of Boone County, West Virginia’s most notorious and surly family. Nitzberg spends a year with multiple generations of the White family in this outlandish doc featuring the family’s dancing muse, Jesco White (star of the cult classic documentary Dancing Outlaw). Also with Hank Williams III. Directed by Julien Nitzberg.
- The Infidel (DVD release date: 10/26/10; $24.95) Mahmud Nasir (comedian Omid Djalili) may not be the most observant Muslim, but deep down he is a true believer. His life is turned upside down when he learns he was adopted—but most scandalous is that his birth mother was Jewish! And his given name was Solly Shimshillewitz! As Mahmud tumbles into a full-scale identity crisis, a true comedy of religious errors unfolds. With Richard Schiff and Matt Lucas. Directed by Josh Appignanesi, written by David Baddiel.
- Metropia (DVD release date: 11/16/10; $24.95) In the year 2024, all of Europe is united by a vast web of underground railways, populated by an army of downtrodden worker bees. When one such cog starts hearing voices and encounters a femme fatale shampoo model who seems to hold some answers, he finds himself unearthing a vast Orwellian conspiracy in this visually arresting animated noir. With the voices of Vincent Gallo, Juliette Lewis, Udo Kier, Stellan Skarsgård, and Alexander Skarsgård. Directed by Tarik Saleh, written by Fredrik Edin, Stig Larsson and Tarik Saleh.
- The Trotksy (DVD release date: 12/14/10; $24.95) Like most high schoolers, Leon Bronstein (Jay Baruchel, Tropic Thunder) is having an identity crisis. What differentiates Leon, however, is that he believes he is the reincarnation of Soviet thinker Leon Trotksy and predestined to follow the same path as his namesake. Tackling issues from students’ rights to semi-formal dances, this “revolutionary” comedy will have you united in laughter. Directed and written by Jacob Tierney.
- The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle (DVD release date: 12/14/10; $24.95) After losing his cubicle job in Seattle, spiritually confused Dory feels like his life is going down the drain. Forced to take a job as a night janitor at a shady research firm, he and his cast-off coworkers are unwittingly used as guinea pigs for new products that are doing strange things to their bodies and minds. Quirky, humorous, and dark, David Russo’s feature debut is a stylish, bittersweet fable about the search for meaning in our throwaway society. With Marshall Allman and Natasha Lyonne. Written and directed by David Russo.
- sex & drugs & rock & roll (DVD release date: 1/25/11; $24.95) Aripsnorting portrait of mercurial British punk rock pioneer Ian Dury (BAFTA nominee Andy Serkis). From a troubled childhood and a battle with debilitating polio to the effects of fame on relationships and fatherhood, here are the highs and lows of a life lived sneeringly, unapologetically out loud. Directed by Mat Whitecross.
- My Last Five Girlfriends (DVD release date: 1/25/11 -; $24.95) Based on the international best seller On Love by Alain de Botton, this delightful romantic comedy explores with delicious wit and whimsy just how modern urban relationships go wrong. Surveying the wreckage of his last five relationships, thirtysomething Duncan (Brendan Patricks) concludes that love is a battleground where only the fittest survive. Directed and written by Julian Kemp.
- Climate of Change (DVD release date: 2/22/11 ; $24.95) A group of 13-year-olds in India rally against the use of plastics. A renaissance man in Africa teaches villagers to harness solar power. Self-described “hillbillies” in Appalachia battle the big business behind strip mining. Tilda Swinton beautifully narrates this rich and inspiring documentary about a world of regular people taking action in the fight to save our environment. This extraordinary environmental documentary is executive produced by Participant Media and the Alliance for Climate Protection. Directed by Brian Hill.
- Road, Movie (DVD release date: 2/22/11; $24.95) Loath to take over the family hair-oil business, young Vishnu jumps at the chance to drive his uncle’s beat-up Chevy truck across India to its new owner. The young runaway, wandering old entertainer, and beautiful woman he picks up along the way make for a magical journey that will change Vishnu’s life. With the sumptuous landscape of India as his canvas, director Dev Benegal paints a delightfully original road movie.
- The Swimsuit Issue (DVD release date: 3/29/11; $24.95) What begins as a joke turns into a new shot at glory for a group of over-the-hill athletes who decide to form Sweden’s only all-male synchronized swimming team. The less they’re taken seriously, the more determined they are to win the world championship in this fun, feel-good comedy about friendship and family. Directed by Måns Herngren, written by Jane Magnusson, Brian Cordray and Herngren.
For more information, please visit www.tribecafilm.com and www.newvideo.com.
About Tribeca Enterprises
Tribeca Enterprises is a diversified global media company based in New York City. Established in 2003 by Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal and Craig Hatkoff, the company currently operates a network of branded entertainment businesses including the Tribeca Film Festival, Tribeca Film Festival International, Tribeca Cinemas and Tribeca Film, a distribution initiative. It also has a strategic partnership with the Tribeca Flashpoint Media Arts Academy. The company’s mission is to provide artists with unique platforms to expand the audience for their works and to broaden the access point for consumers to experience independent film and media. Jonathan Tisch, through Walnut Hill Media, is a minority investor in Tribeca Enterprises and is a member of the Board of Directors.
About Tribeca Film
Tribeca Film is a comprehensive distribution platform dedicated to acquiring and marketing independent films across multiple platforms, including video-on-demand, theatrical and home video. It is an initiative from Tribeca Enterprises designed to provide new platforms for how film can be experienced, while supporting filmmakers and introducing audiences to films they might not otherwise see. American Express continues its support of Tribeca and the independent film community by serving as the Founding Partner of Tribeca Film.
About New Video®
New Video is a leading independent privately-held distributor bringing you quality entertainment via DVD, Blu-ray, download and streaming platforms and cable VOD. We are the proud home to some of the most prestigious names in the industry like A&E®, HISTORY™, Lifetime®, Major League Baseball®, Scholastic Storybook Treasures™, Arthouse Films and Tribeca Film as well as our own lines Docurama Films®, and the newly launched Flatiron Film Company®. Since 1991, our mission has been to unearth first-rate content and deliver them to audiences through traditional platforms and evolving new media. We selectively handpick our library while collaborating directly with our brand partners and filmmakers to cultivate a superior product and fresh new viewing experiences for our audiences. We are headquartered in New York City, but have an international presence in 45 territories.
# # #
John Squires, New Video